Posted to alt.home.repair
Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default roofing products

On Sun, 28 Apr 2019 01:24:06 -0400, Clare Snyder wrote:

Anyone here have any experience with CertainTeed Northgate shingles?
The SBS modified asphault seams to be VERY flexible and compared to
GAF Timberlines are heavier and thicker and a LOT harder to tear. When
I bent the GAF (and also an IKO) the grit came off and the backing
cracked - the NorthGate bent with no cracking and no grit loss.

I was realling considering putting on steel - but at 13000-14000 for
the steel, 7000 for the Northgate looks pretty good - both with 50
year non pro-rated full replacement warranty . The GAF or IKO (or
Certainteed Landmark) Roof would run about 6000 with 30 year
"dissapearing ink" warranty.

IMO I'd go with a product that been on roofs for 30 years. That Certain Teed problem
didn't show for many years after installation. Do the Northgates have a long track record
The roofer I hired to put GAF Timberline on my hip-roof house and garage in 2001 used
Certain Teed caps on all ridges.
I didn't even notice until 9 years later, and by 11 years they were looking bad enough that
I had them replaced with GAF Timberline caps. Cost me $900.
The GAF Timberline shingles still look new, and very little grit has shown up in my
gutters.