Posted to alt.home.repair
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default roofing products

Anyone here have any experience with CertainTeed Northgate shingles?
The SBS modified asphault seams to be VERY flexible and compared to
GAF Timberlines are heavier and thicker and a LOT harder to tear. When
I bent the GAF (and also an IKO) the grit came off and the backing
cracked - the NorthGate bent with no cracking and no grit loss.

I was realling considering putting on steel - but at 13000-14000 for
the steel, 7000 for the Northgate looks pretty good - both with 50
year non pro-rated full replacement warranty . The GAF or IKO (or
Certainteed Landmark) Roof would run about 6000 with 30 year
"dissapearing ink" warranty.

I know Certainteed had a LOT of trouble with their low end Landmark
shingles a decade or so ago, but their higher end products seemed to
be pretty good.So no, I don't need any reference to the problems with
Landmark and the contractor I'm talking to has 30 years experience -
over 20 with Certainteed, and his Dad has been in the business for
over 40 years.The son also does steel and all 3 prices are from him.
I got a steel quite from another local company with the same product
as one of his steel quotes and he was 1000 better than the other
company - with all the same installation specs. Interestingly the
stone-coat steel, although more expensive product, came out cheaper
because it does not require the snow guards the bare Kynar steel needs