Posted to uk.d-i-y
tony sayer tony sayer is offline

Default Mono Stereo

In article , Robin
scribeth thus
On 25/04/2019 09:35, tony sayer wrote:
In article , mm0fmf
scribeth thus
On 23/04/2019 15:49, tony sayer wrote:
In article , mm0fmf
scribeth thus
Not an inherent fault with DAB.
The fault with DAB is you cannot upgrade the codec to anything
acceptable by 2019 standards. So we're stuck with a poorly performing
codec and then have bean counters forcing low bitrate streams. Bad codec
and then constraining the bit rate is a recipe for ****ness.

Ever read about the AAC + or DAB 2 codec?...

Yes.

Can I upgrade the built my car audio system that only has DAB to DAB+? No.

Yes true but i don't think that AAC was around at the time..

Around the early 90's when DAB was being formulated..

80s

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10569231

Then AIUI no one in the UK had the guts to say "oops!"

80's and part 90's and original work prolly before that but in all
fairness the basic idea behind DAB is OFDM modulation which offered
several advantages over FM especially for mobile reception. It was not
upgradable to another better codec but oddly enough the modulator and
multiplexer we have on our local trial DAB service MUX can handle
standard DAB and DAB+ the DAB Plus we have had several reports on is
performing better reception wise than standard DAB .. FWIW...

Then the idea of bit reduction came about no one saw that forthcoming it
seems till it got here..
--
Tony Sayer