Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default right of way at a mini roundabout

On Sat, 27 Apr 2019 17:43:55 +0100, Steve Walker
wrote:

snip

The painted yellow lamp behind a clear lens doesn't work as well in
many cases / conditions.

Mine uses yellow lamps, inside a yellow plastic lens only slightly
larger than the lamp, with the whole lot in a clear lens.

I saw that in a BMW Mini earlier.

They seem to
work well.

If like the Mini then I'd agree. The reason is the lens does all the
work, the outer lens should make little difference.

The brakes lights similarly use red, red, clear.

Ok.

LED indicators can be ok but again, don't seem to have the power in
the sunlight, and can be too bight when in your face at traffic lights
at night.

Some of those that scan along, rather than flash are 'ok' but often
not as obvious as the straight 'on/off' solution (and again, I end up
looking at them, rather than *just* considering their meaning).

I find that the biggest problem is small indicators built into the
middle of circular rear light clusters - they often become very
difficult to see when the brake lights come on right around them - and
similar small indicators, very close to (or even within the same lens)
as the dipped headlights.

Agreed.

The only improvements are the indicator repeaters built into the front
of door mirrors ... similar in style and location to the origional
'Traficators' in fact!

Give it a few more years and we'll be back to hand signals and men with
red flags.

With EV's being naturally quiet it might not be a bad idea and the
hand signals save electric. ;-)

Cheers, T i m