Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Table saw recommendations please

On 25/04/2019 16:13, dennis@home wrote:
On 25/04/2019 11:21, John Rumm wrote:
On 24/04/2019 21:26, Chris Green wrote:

I want something that will enable me to cut accurate right-angled
cross cuts and parallel rip cuts.Â* 'Accurate' means to something less
than 1mm along a long rip cut and properly square for cross.Â* My
WolfCraft table isn't this accurate unless you are very careful and
help it somewhat!

I don't want to spend a lot (hence looking at the Screwfix Titan) but
on the other hand I don't want to waste my money on something that
won't do what I need.Â* Somewhere around the £200 mark is probably my
upper limit.Â* If I'm not going to get what I want at that sort of
level then I'll muddle on with what I've got.

Recommendations please!

Reading between the lines, it sounds like you are after a contractors
style table saw rather than a full sized one. (although if you have
space for a full sized one, a second hand pro level machine from ebay
etc might be a better bet).

Of the cheaper contractors saws, the lower end Charnwood often gets a
mention:

https://www.charnwood.net/products/table-saw

The cross cutting performance with the included mitre guides can often
be a bit suspect on smaller saws, however so long as you can get the
blade parallel to the guide slots in the table, then its easy to make
a cross cut sledge that will give repeatable accurate cuts.

The £159 one looks identical to the one I used to have from B&Q. I paid
£30 for that one.

There are quite a few similar looking saws in the price bracket... e.g:

https://www.rutlands.co.uk/sp+power-...utlands+xt2300

Not sure I would want to try something at the £30 point though (unless
that was second hand?) given the scope for injury if something falls
apart on you in use.

It was useless at anything other than ripping and the table bent.

Small tables are always going to be limited for cross cuttings unaided,
but you can work round many of the problems with home built sledges,
jigs, and extension tables.

It was heavy so I gave it away to save space in the shed.

There seems to be a disconnect in that sentence somewhere ;-)

My neighbour has a table saw if I need to borrow some time on one.

Handy if there is one near - decent ones tend to come with free
electricity as well.

--
Cheers,

John.