Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default RCD discrimination - 10mA?

On Wednesday, 24 April 2019 19:51:56 UTC+1, wrote:
On 24/04/2019 19:40, ARW wrote:
On 24/04/2019 19:11, wrote:
I've had to connect an external pump controller (for a well) to a
house circuit that's on a 30mA RCD. I'd prefer to have some
discrimination but don't want a delayed RCD on the house circuit, any
ideas?
I wondered whether there is a fast-acting 10mA RCD available that I
could use for the controller but I suspect the 30mA RCD would probably
trip as well. If not, and nobody can suggest another solution, I'll
leave it as it is, or (possibly) use an isolating transformer.

I agree both or either would trip. You are probably not allowed a time
delay RCD on the house.

New dedicated circuit with it's own RCD?

A new circuit would be the "correct" answer but it's not really viable -
a large house with awkward runs and the need to drop down a plastered
wall. Having just looked at the price of 1kVA isolating transformers I
don't think they will be an option either.

You could just live with them being on the same RCD. Add an isolator if concerned in case the outdoor wiring goes wet, so you can continue using the indoor before solving it.

NT