Posted to rec.woodworking
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default Track saw or spindle sander

On Wed, 24 Apr 2019 13:57:39 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 4/23/2019 4:02 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Tue, 23 Apr 2019 11:05:26 -0700 (PDT), Michael
wrote:

On Tuesday, April 23, 2019 at 1:00:50 PM UTC-5, Just Wondering wrote:
On 4/23/2019 11:53 AM, Michael wrote:
Let's say hypothetically you had $400 or so in Home Depot gift cards. Would you buy a Dewalt track saw or a Delta spindle sander?

Thanks.

This time of year I'd buy plants and gardening supplies.

An understandable approach. However, for me, if there's an opportunity to buy a tool, I buy a tool.

How about a new lawn-mower then???

If he has a Honda mower, he probably does not need one. I just in the
past few weeks put new/expensive wheels on my Honda, $120.00 ish. I
bought that mower in 1987, paid almost $500 for it and hoped I was not
throwing my money away.

I bought my 1959 Yazoo Pro for $15 way back in 1988-ish. The previous
owner had just spent $65 having the carb and ignition gone over.
I blew up the 3.5HP Briggs engine back in about 2012? and replaced it
with a brand new 6.5HP Bolton Power Products CHONDA motor for $85 and
I've rebuilt the main spindle twice at a cost of less than $25 each
time. I've replaced the rear tires (20 inch BMX) and replaced the
sheet metal portion of the deck with stainless steel countertop that I
got for nothing.
Will likely outlast me at this rate.I likely have about $500 invested
including all the gas I've put through it - - - My lot is 1/3 acre.

I still have a 1957 Lawn King 19 inch mower too with the original
Lauson engine on it (Magnesium deck) and I have a Toro and a John
Deere that I've salvaged curb-side that are both over 25 years old and
in excellent operating condition (both alloy decks as well) I've got
to clear tose out this spring to make room in my shed - - -