Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Bleaching tableware - ? - !

"Marland" wrote in message
On Monday, 22 April 2019 22:37:09 UTC+1, Dave W wrote:
On Sun, 21 Apr 2019 23:36:58 -0700 (PDT), polygonum_on_google
wrote:

On Sunday, 21 April 2019 20:21:00 UTC+1, Dave W wrote:
On Sun, 21 Apr 2019 11:15:26 +0100, Another John
wrote:

Having a mug of tea with a mate the other day, I bemoaned the fact
that
my beautiful mug (on the outside) had acquired brown stains (on the
inside) which can't be removed using the normal nylon scouring
sponge.

He said his Mum used to bleach their cups on a regular basis. I'd
heard
of this before, but I've never gone near the idea, for fear of
poisoning
myself.

What does The Team Think, please?

Cheers
John

Bleach whitens the muck but leaves it there. I have been amazed by a
fine-grained white sponge material that Robert Dyas used to sell. I
think there was another brand sold elsewhere but I haven't seen it.

The sponge seems none-abrasive, but goes brown when rubbed over a tea
stain which disappears. My theory is that the cup is brown because tea
stain is lying in many fine scratches. The sponge drags the stain out
of the scratches. However the scratches can be seen to be still there
so the cup stains again easily - it would be best to buy new cups.

Which is what I posted about 17 hours ago!

Melamine foam "Magic eraser" or variant. Sold in Lidl and many other
places. Cheap versions seem to me to work just as well as expensive.

Our kitchen sink came with instructions to use them for cleaning it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melamine_foam

Thanks for the link. Now I'm worried that the foam is abrasive so
might cause scratches on its own.

it's a very soft abrasive, it doesn't harm anything hard. It's a plastic.

NT

Which presumably as it wears down ends up via plug oles, drains ,sewers
and treatment plant ,watercourses ,oceans into the marine food chain.

It doesnt get past the treatment plant and end up with the other
solids and plastic disposed of on land at the treatment plant.

A state of affairs that recently has a lot of attention drawn to it.