Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default A small hardboard escutcheon ...

On Monday, 22 April 2019 23:46:07 UTC+1, Roger Hayter wrote:

I really sympathise! I promised my wife new knobs for the front door
without thinking through the differences between knobs and handles. I
got somewhat longer latches, but without having the knobs below knee
height we are left with a knob uncomfortably near the frame. But just
about usable. Since my knobs are unspriung, I had the opposite spring
problem; had to get a latch with a much heavier spring to make up for
the loss of sprung handles. It seems cheap modern doors are really
unsuitable for knobs, which is perhaps why one doesn't see them in new
houses.

A simple job turned really difficult.

Knobs are a problem for some disabled & if you have your hands full.

NT