Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dennis@home Dennis@home is offline

Default A small hardboard escutcheon ...

On 22/04/2019 21:07, wrote:
will conceal where the power drill went out the side of the door when
I was mortissing in a new latch barrel.

And drilled the spindle hole in on the bottom line of the latch
instead of the centre line.

I thought it would be a simple job to update the door handles, but
the new ones are knobs and the old ones are levers. The knobs are too
close to the edge of the door, so I have to fit new latches. The
longer latches are too long to fit in the stiles without bursting out
into the panels, so I have to make completely new latch holes.

The handles are also sprung, and two sprung handles and a latch is
too heavy a spring action, so I am manually despringing one or both
of the handles in the hope of getting a lighter action.

Now considering that putting in a new central heating system myself
might be a touch ambitious ...

Did that 30+ years ago, its easy.
Only five zones.
Plastic pipe makes it easier and there hasn't been a single failure of
the plastic stuff yet.