Posted to rec.woodworking
Sonny Sonny is offline

Default Tool Parts ID - State Auction Items

On Monday, April 22, 2019 at 8:21:16 AM UTC-5, dpb wrote:

Check out
http://www.vintagemachinery.org/photoindex/detail.aspx?id=3145 for
similar...it's Crescent; the old American/Rockwell that I was thinking
of is of quite different main casting shape/style; this approximates
what was there, at least.

When this tool came up for bids, it was identified as a radial arm saw. I could see it was some sort of drilling machine and thought it was some sort of milling machine. I wonder if the buyer knew what it was. If he knew what the machine was, he should have known what the jointer's extra parts were. He was one of the initial bidders of the jointer, had inspected it and the extra parts, so he was obviously aware. I suspect some of the buyers of some of these big tools resell them as scrap iron, since they purchase them for so little money.

I sent pics to the auction folks with note/explanation that the buyer of the tool might want this fence, if he is to restore the "milling machine". They told me the guy is in Mississippi, they gave him my number and I suppose he'll call. If he doesn't convince me he knows what the tool is and will restore it, then I won't go out of my way to give him the part(s). I can sell it as scrap just as well as he can.

On a jointer related note, I don't have 3PH service nor a converter. Some good time ago and on several occasions, I explored the cost of buying/fabricating one. I don't know how to fabricate that kind of stuff.

Saturday, I spoke to a nephew as to whether he can get a converter at or below cost. Since he's a big whig for a major construction company, I thought he may have connections for obtaining industrial equipment at some reduced cost. He grabbed my paperwork and told me not worry about it.

Will see what happens next.

Sonny