Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Washing Machine Motor Tripping Mains RCD

On 20/04/2019 15:08, tony sayer wrote:
In article , Fredxx
scribeth thus

I would suspect the heater first and suppressor caps second. Both can be
disconnected and you can then run the machine (cold wash) safely with
the earth connected.

I'd stick my money on heater element leakage!...

+1

Annoyingly they can fail then heal for a while and then reappear.
Our village tea urn developed that fault from time to time.

My circular saw did fail by motor leakage though so it is not impossible
but given the stated measurements seems unlikely. You are looking for
something leaking to earth that is probably less than 100k (or may even
be a wild value like -100R if there is electrolytic action between the
element and the frame). You can get two different answers by swapping
the meter leads!

--
Regards,
Martin Brown