Posted to uk.d-i-y
DerbyBorn[_5_] DerbyBorn[_5_] is offline

Default Notre Dame and other high buildings

newshound wrote in
:

On 20/04/2019 17:16, DerbyBorn wrote:
I realise the risks with sprinklers and the very high cost of their
instalations - but surely a simple dry riser to a few strategic jets
- fed by water from the fire brigade could be a fast response
solution where high reach appliances take a long time to be deployed
and may not be high enough.

Imagine a pipe on the roof to act as a big sprinkler - early
deployment would have killed the fire. Cost - some pipes.

I don't think "a few strategic jets" is as simple as it sounds. You
need widely distributed sprays, plus good drainage routes for the
inner stone vault.

It could provide a safe area for firefighters to work from - coupling their
hoses to the pipes to direct water more strategically. We had the situation
where the firefighters were having difficulty getting to the ideal height.