Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Washing Machine Motor Tripping Mains RCD

On Saturday, 20 April 2019 15:12:33 UTC+1, tony sayer wrote:
In article , Fredxx
scribeth thus
On 19/04/2019 23:14, Ninthlamp wrote:
replying to John Hill, Ninthlamp wrote: Hi This thread helped me
diagnose my InDesit IWDE 7145 B UK motor problem so I thought I'd try
and pay back a little. A couple of months ago, the drum drive motor
failed and it was easily fixed with new brushes. Last night, it
started tripping the RCD. It was an earth leakage fault that, in
spite of a stripdown and thorough clean with alcohol, I couldn't get
rid of the 10Megohm leak to earth that was tripping the RCD.

I can assure you a 10Megohn leak to earth would not trip a RCD. You
would need 1,000 times more current.

So, time
for a new motor, probably from indesitspares.co.uk for Ł99. BUT;
here's my bit of wisdom: I've temporarily disconnected the earth from
the motor and checking ( while in attendance! ) that the machine runs
through a full cycle. This is to make sure that changing the motor is
all it needs.

I would suspect the heater first and suppressor caps second. Both can be
disconnected and you can then run the machine (cold wash) safely with
the earth connected.

I'd stick my money on heater element leakage!...

Yep, I bet the leaker element is heating. On most machines it can be unplugged & the thermostat wired over to check it then works fine.

NT