Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim K.. Jim K.. is offline

Default Using a reconditioned IBC as a water tank

Tim Lamb Wrote in message:
In message , Jim K..
writes
harry Wrote in message:
On Friday, 19 April 2019 09:15:03 UTC+1, Jeff Layman wrote:
Anyone got experience of using these? For example:

https://www.direc****ertanks.co.uk/w...1000-litre-rec
onditioned-ibc-75mm3-valve-combi-pallet

I'm thinking of getting one or two of these for storing rainwater for
the garden. One problem is access - they'd have to be lifted over a
fence. I'm also wondering if the plastic container could be removed and
used on its own, rather than in the metal frame (if I got two, they'd be
used side-by-side, not one stacked on top of the other, which I guess is
what the metal frame is needed for).

--

Jeff

The frame is vital, the tank is thin and with flat walls.
(Square tanks take up less room than cylinders)

The frame will rust outdoors

Measured in decades before "failure" and some are galvanised.

Better to get a cylindrical one. No frame needed.
Probably cheaper too.

Show us then ?

IBC containers of my experience had wooden supporting pallets built into
the frame. Convenience for handling as they are intended for multi-trip
use. These rot readily on contact with garden soil. Current construction
may have moved to plastic.

Looking at the link the op posted would indicate rot will not be
an issue.

Large cylindrical plastic barrels used for shipping Orange juice etc.
may be available.

I have one. 6ft tall. Pain to transport; no tap; need a base to
stand on, not sure re UV exposure long term.

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/