Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default Using a reconditioned IBC as a water tank

On 19/04/2019 11:30, Broadback wrote:
On 19/04/2019 10:52, Jim K.. wrote:
Jeff Layman Wrote in message:
Anyone got experience of using these? For example:
https://www.direc****ertanks.co.uk/water-storage-tanks/1000-litre-reconditioned-ibc-75mm3-valve-combi-pallet

I'm thinking of getting one or two of these for storing rainwater for
the garden. One problem is access - they'd have to be lifted over a
fence. I'm also wondering if the plastic container could be removed and
used on its own, rather than in the metal frame (if I got two, they'd be
used side-by-side, not one stacked on top of the other, which I guess is
what the metal frame is needed for).

Get the black one for another tenner, cuts down on mould growth.
Buy a tap to fit from the same supplier.
Leave it in the cage.

+1

+ another one.

I was given a couple of translucent ones which I use to collect water
off a roof for equines. You can keep the algae down to a reasonable
level using the tablets sold for non-plumbed-in garden swimming pools,
you put one or two in a "float" which doses them for a couple of weeks.
The final breakdown product is salt (and you give horses salt licks
anyway, so there is no toxicity problem in this case).

But the black (and I think blue?) ones are much rarer and presumably
fetch a premium.

I have actually cut a large removable panel in the top of mine for
cleaning (in dry spells they get filled from a spring which caries a lot
of silt) and removed some of the upper cage structure so that the
container can just be lifted out. Then I tip it on its side and clean it
with a pressure washer (but much less frequently since using the
sterilising tablets).

You definitely need to keep the frame, if it's ever going to be a
quarter full.