Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default Bury new sewer pipe without killing tree roots ?

Well, I'm afraid the cheap option is indeed to remove the tree. If the roots
use the pipe for water even if you route around it with your new pipe, the
tree will probably have issues due to the lack of water supply.
Its a tough one to call.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"George Miles" wrote in message
There's a huge Copper Beech tree ,
twice the height of the house,
but the old clay sewer pipe has roots in it.

So how to dig or bore a trench or tunnel for a new plastic pipe which will
last another thousand years without chopping the roots and killing the
tree?

It has to be 4 to 6 feet deep to be downhill from existing sewer pipes,
and to get into the field.

One of the neighbors wrote yesterday:
"Priority 1 is to stop the rain water flow into septic tank
Priority 2, ensure sewage conduit to tank is not blocked (take down beech
tree or find another conduit)"

Today I emailed the council to get a Tree Preservation Order.

There's a new septic law coming in next January:

https://www.struttandparker.com/know...nk-regulations
says:
"Under the GBRs, anyone with a septic tank discharging into a watercourse
must replace it or upgrade it by 1 January 2020, or sooner if the property
is sold before this date, or if the Environment Agency (EA) finds that it
is causing pollution."

George