Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Phone sockets to patch panel

On 18/04/2019 17:40, Lee Nowell wrote:

Thanks very much John. Sorry if I am being dozy.. at the master I
wire in 2 wires (say brown and brown/white) into the extension bit.

What is the "extension bit"?

At the panel and faceplate these will be pins 7 and 8 so when I
connect the RJ11 to the face plate I assume 7 and 8 aren't connected
or if they are they will need to be wherever the phone thinks they
should be?

I am not quite following that...

Here is my understanding on what you are trying to get to:

ok so you have wall sockets/hardwired connection to an alarm panel in
the house, wired back to a common patch panel. These are fully wired -
all 8 connections - in cat6?

At the patch panel you have taken 3 unused patch positions and wired
pins 4 & 5 in parallel on all three. So they are wired only to each other.

You have a master phone socket from which you want to connect several
phone points,

So you patch with a BT to RJ11/45 lead from the master socket to one of
the group of three linked sockets in the patch panel. You now use a
regular RF45 to RJ45 patch lead to connect each of those 2 remaining
common phone sockets, to the correct ports on the patch panel to reach
the phone points.

You don't need an extension BT socket in there unless the master is too
far away from the patch panel. In which case you can wire a two wire
connection from the master to the slave using two wires (2 & 5), then
you can connect the extension to the commoned up patch panel sockets
using a BT to RJ11 patch.

--
Cheers,

John.