Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Phone sockets to patch panel

On 18/04/2019 12:55, Lee Nowell wrote:
Thanks very much John. Almost there. A couple of quick follow-up
questions / clarifications inline (hopefully it is readable)

On Thursday, 18 April 2019 12:16:28 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:

See:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...ing_the_System

In my scenario, the cat 6 running from the master socket is connected
to the extension terminals of the master socket and then wired into a
secondary socket at the moment (I believe I have used brown wires and
no bell wire to improve broadband). Sounds like I should switch
these to the blue wires (does it matter which is which) and then wire
the other end into the patch panel as normal.

The colours used for that application do not matter particularly, so
long as you use both wires of a twisted pair - say brown and brown
stripe or blue and blue stripe. Don't use say blue and green.

This was if I then use
a RJ11 to RJ11 wire at the face plate to connect the phone it should
work?

Yup. Depending on the phone at the end it may not ring if it wants the
bell wire and that has not been recreated somewhere.

4. Set up 3 ports on the patch panel wired in parallel (i.e.
punch a long wire connecting all same colours together - e.g.
same brown wire punched into brown of all 3 ports).

Since you can only really use this kind of joining for phone
circuits, so you only need do the blue pair on pins 4 and 5.

See:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...hone_signa ls

Ah yes good point

1 for the master and one each for the 2 phones we have

Yup.

5. Patch whichever face plate ports I want to activate as a phone
to one of the ports set up in set (4).

Yup.

Would this work?

Yup.

You now need a way to connect the phone to the RJ45 socket at the
far end. There are two typical options he

Of the 2 "phones" one is actually the alarm panel so is wired
directly anyway so for neatness would be better to connect the real
phone via RJ11 to RJ11 cable.

The alarm panel is very unlikely to need a bell wire anyway, The phone
probably doesn't but you might want to check to be sure. If its happy
without, then a RJ11 to 11 or 45 lead will do fine. If it needs one,
then a LAU will be needed (or open the phone and install a 10uF bi-polar
cap somewhere suitable)

--
Cheers,

John.