Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Mono Stereo

In article ,
Jethro_uk wrote:
Of course it's going to depend on where you are in the country. Same as
any reception. City centres with tall buildings - or hilly country tend
to show up the shortcomings of FM. And DAB was designed for mobile
reception.

Which is why I was careful to state it was *driving* that I experienced
**** performance. Driving across the vast mountain ranges of
Worcestershire, Gloucestershire, Wiltshire, Hampshire and Dorset. All
terrain that FM was crystal clear over. Except for a dead spot near M5J5
which I think was due to the sodding great transmitter there.

It's obviously going to depend on which transmitters are where. It's not a
public service where the whole country gets fair do's. Anymore than with
anything else. So rather obviously centres of population are better
covered. The real test is to do a comparison where signal strengths and
expected coverage are about the same.

One thing I did discover, though. An aerial designed for FM doesn't work
well with DAB. And even maker's systems factory installed ain't
necessarily state of the art.

I have one car with a factory FM radio. Aerial in the screen. Noticeably
poorer FM reception than the old car on FM with a roof aerial.

--
*How many roads must a man travel down before he admits he is lost? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.