Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Phone sockets to patch panel

On 18/04/2019 10:43, wrote:

Thanks very much all this was exactly what I was after but couldn't
think of a way of achieving it. So, just so I can apply the various
comments to my situation is this correct?

1. I have wired all my sockets up using 568B so sounds like at the
face plate, when I need to have a phone line I just need the RJ45 to
BT adapter Steph (sorry can't see full name) suggests above

Typically (analogue) phone wiring on a structured cabling system just
uses the middle two contacts on the connector. The actual wiring
standard used does not really matter, so long as they are connected to a
pair, and they get to the far end! (and the centre pair are typically
carried by the blue wires on CAT5/6 - and those are the same in both
TIA-568 A and B anyway).

So you need to wire a patch lead with the outer two populated pins on
the BT plug (pins 2 and 5), to the centre two on the RJ11 / 45

See:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...ing_the_System

2. I wire
all faceplate sockets (including those that will be phones) to the
patch panels 3.

Yup, wire all sockets the same way - all pins connected between socket
and patch panel. That way you can decide how the socket will be used
later, and change the use as well should the need arise.

I wire the cat 6 cable that is wired into my master
socket into the patch panel directly rather than to another BT
socket

Is this the incoming line we are discussing? If so that still needs to
be in place to provide the line protection and test facilities. You can
wire directly from its extension terminals to your patch lead though if
you want. I would be less keen on wiring a line to the patch permanently.

4. Set up 3 ports on the patch panel wired in parallel (i.e.
punch a long wire connecting all same colours together - e.g. same
brown wire punched into brown of all 3 ports).

Since you can only really use this kind of joining for phone circuits,
so you only need do the blue pair on pins 4 and 5.

See:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...hone_signa ls

1 for the master and
one each for the 2 phones we have

Yup.

5. Patch whichever face plate ports
I want to activate as a phone to one of the ports set up in set (4).

Yup.

Would this work?

Yup.

You now need a way to connect the phone to the RJ45 socket at the far
end. There are two typical options he

One is to use a Line Adaptor Unit. This provides a BT style socket
connected to a RJ45 plug. It also includes a ring capacitor to provide
the bell wire to phones that need it. (its better to regenerate the bell
wire locally if you need it, rather than pipe it about the wiring, since
its not impedance balanced like the other pair, and is more likely to
pick up noise that can upset broadband speeds).

The second is to simply use a phone lead with a RJ45 plug on the end (or
change the plug for a RJ45) - for many modern phones that don't require
the bell wire this will be fine. A straight through 2 wire lead with
RJ11 on both ends (as used by ADSL modems) will work fine with many phones.

--
Cheers,

John.