Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Spare tyres and maximum speed limits

On 18/04/2019 09:33, Mike Clarke wrote:
On 17/04/2019 21:35, NY wrote:

Diesel has an energy density of 38.5 MJ/litre. So 60 litres in 5
minutes (300 seconds) is:

60*38.5/300 MJ/sec = 7.7 MJ/sec, aka 7.7 MW (gulp!)

The filling station at my local Asda has 8 pumps. If we all used
electric cars and didn't change our usage patterns they'd need to be
replaced with 8 super fast recharging points and need a 62 MW power
supply to provide the 5 minute recharge. Scale that up for the whole
country and you have a massive infrastructure problem.

Since electric motors should be much more efficient than internal
combustion engines the above figures are pessimistic but even if the
power requirement was only 30% of the above they'd still be problematic.

If we can actually produce an acceptable battery car in due course for
more than intra urban short hops, then all the infrastructure is
buildable over the same sort of period that a petrol and diesel based
infrastructure was rolled out in the last century.

i.e. 1-3 decades

--
€œIt is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established
authorities are wrong.€

ۥ Voltaire, The Age of Louis XIV