Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Clarke Mike Clarke is offline

Default Spare tyres and maximum speed limits

On 17/04/2019 21:35, NY wrote:

Diesel has an energy density of 38.5 MJ/litre. So 60 litres in 5 minutes
(300 seconds) is:

60*38.5/300 MJ/sec = 7.7 MJ/sec, aka 7.7 MW (gulp!)

The filling station at my local Asda has 8 pumps. If we all used
electric cars and didn't change our usage patterns they'd need to be
replaced with 8 super fast recharging points and need a 62 MW power
supply to provide the 5 minute recharge. Scale that up for the whole
country and you have a massive infrastructure problem.

Since electric motors should be much more efficient than internal
combustion engines the above figures are pessimistic but even if the
power requirement was only 30% of the above they'd still be problematic.