Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Phone sockets to patch panel

On 17/04/2019 20:38, wrote:
Hi All,

I have run cat 6 cables to all rooms in my house all terminated in a
comms cupboard. The BT master socket is in another room and again a
cat 6 cable is run from it to the comms cupboard terminated with a BT
socket. In the comms cupboard I have terminated all cat 6 cables in
a patch panel.

So, the question is how best to I connect the 3 patch panel ports
which are connected to phone sockets in rooms to the BT socket. So
far I have thought of the following 1. Create patch cables with RJ45
one end and BT socket the other. The connect these into the BT
socket via a normal phone splitter 2. Create a 3 way cable by having
3 cables with RJ45 connectors one end and the other ends all soldered
together. Then solder this onto a phone cable connected to BT
socket 3. I tried looking for a RJ45 splitter (RJ45 version of a
normal phone one) but couldn't find one

If you have spare patch panel sockets free, then wire 4 in parallel,
patch three to the other patch sockets you want to connect phones to,
and connect a BT to RJ11/45 to the remaining paralleled socket.

(Note that you can plug a RJ11 into a RJ45 socket - hence a "normal" BT
to RJ11 lead will often be adequate to connect a BT phone socket to a
patch panel)

Neither of which seem ideal. Anyone have any better ideas?

A basic PABX would probably be overkill for three phones, but might be
worth it if you would like to be able to call between extensions, or
want to add a VoIP line to the system, e.g.

https://www.orchidtelecom.com/product/orchid-pbx308/

Also, I assume I have to terminate the cable from the BT master
socket in a BT socket rather than terminate it in the patch panel?

You can get "master" euro modules with BT socket on them, but those are
really designed for use with 2 wire PABX wiring, since they only provide
the ring cap, but not the surge suppressor or test resistor that you
have the main master.

--
Cheers,

John.