Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] stephenten@tesco.net is offline

Default Phone sockets to patch panel

What I did was to fit a second patch panel that had 16 sockets. I wired all the sockets in parallel and ran the cat 5 cable back to the BT master socket.

The idea was to have 16 ethernet sockets all wired as secondary BT sockets.

The first patch panel was wired to all the ethernet wall sockets in the house.

I had a 48 port gigabit switch also in the rack connected to the LAN port of my internet modem.

I have a set of green and a set of white short patch cables.

The green ones were used to patch between the wall sockets and the internet connected gigabit switch ports.

The white ones were used to patch between the wall sockets and the 16 socket BT sockets patch panel.

Incidentally if you wire the phone patch panel as eia/Tia 568b instead of Tia/eia 568a, this will then take on the same wiring convention colours as BT wiring and the phones will just then work without fear of mis-wiring between patch panel and BT master socket. 😀

All I needed then was commonly available RJ45 plug to BT socket adapters where a phone was required to plug into the ethernet socket.

Kenable have them at https://www.kenable.co.uk/en/network...CABEgKS0_D_BwE