View Single Post
  #7   Report Post  
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster

Default How to fix the goo that occurs on some electronic enclosures?

On 16/04/2019 22:43, wrote:
On Tuesday, 16 April 2019 18:56:07 UTC+1, three_jeeps wrote:
I am an EE, not a chemist so I am looking for a solution to this issue.
I have a few electronic devices such as Foscam PTZ network camera and a Targus slide clicker, both of which have this issue. The black case of these devices seems to have suffered a breakdown of the surface of the enclosure that results in a very sticky feel along with the disappearance of some of the lettering on the buttons, case, etc.
They haven't been exposed to a lot of sunlight, temp extremes, chemicals of any sort, etc.

The sticky substance seems to be only on the exposed outside surfaces.
I have tried to remove/stabilize the stickyness with: alcohol (isopropal, ethel, methel), acetone, MEK, mineral spirits, carbon-tet, even tried the dreaded (in my book) WD40. Nothing helped. I know that some of these chemicals might soften certain types of plastics, but I figured what the hell.....

Nothing has fixed the problem, and I hate to toss this stuff. Actually I am more interested in what the problem is and a cure for it - if any.
Thanks
John

No solution that we know of. Talc or cornstarch provides a temporary bodge. Several solvents can remove it but it's very slow going. Brake fluid has been recommended as one of the best. Heatshrink sleeving it is another option, or perhaps tape.

NT

Is it the same breakdown process of the perishing of old rubber drive
bands in cassette recorders/VCRs?
Sometimes go hard and brittle ,sometimes "melt" to a horrible black goo.
I'll try brake-fluid , the next time I have to clean off the remnants of
such a gooey ex-drive band.
Incidently if you have a box of spare rubber drive bands, pour loads of
talc in there. Even if it doesn't stop a band perishing, it isolates it
to just the one band , rather than the contagion affecting a number of them.