Posted to alt.home.repair
\[email protected] \Retired@Home.com is offline

Default Weight of a railroad tie?

On 4/16/19 8:08 PM, Rod Speed wrote:

wrote in message
On Sunday, April 27, 2008 at 5:49:29 PM UTC-6, Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
How much does a railroad tie weigh? We are thinking of using some for a
landscaping project but are wondering how difficult they might be to
handle.

Perce

I'm removing some that have been used for terracing for the last 50
years and used by the railroad before that.Â* I'm a big guy and I can't
pick these up by myself.Â* I would say they are 200 lbs.

Likely Perce has worked that out in 11 years.

Just in case Perce recovers from the hernia he suffered back then, here
are some specs of weight depending on type of wood:

https://rtax.memberclicks.net/assets...0for%20web.pdf

See page 35 where weights vary from 156# to 218# for a standard tie.