Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mike Mike is offline

Default How to fix the goo that occurs on some electronic enclosures?

In article ,
three_jeeps wrote:
The black case of these=
devices seems to have suffered a breakdown of the surface of the enclosure

Was the device originally a matt/rubberised finish of some kind, rather
than smooth (or textured-moulded) plastic?

I have a Topfield "Black Panther" model PVR that has a plastic front, which
was "enhanced" with some kind of matt coating. Over time, it became sticky,
as you say it hasn't ...

been exposed to a lot of sunlight, temp extremes, chemicals of=
any sort, etc.

.... so it seems to be a natural failure of the coating with time.

I have tried to remove/stabilize the stickyness with: alcohol (isopropal,

In the end, I did manage to clean it off, but it took a lot of work with
isopropanol -- it appears to be doing very little, but persistence paid off.

acetone, MEK

.... may eat the plastic underneath too, so use with care.

Mike Brown: mjb[-at-]signal11.org.uk | http://www.signal11.org.uk