Posted to rec.woodworking
John McGaw John McGaw is offline

Default Band saws

On 4/12/2019 11:57 AM, Keith Nuttle wrote:
I have an older bench top Sears band saw.Â*Â* I use it for quick cuts.Â* I
don't use it often.

Since it sit unused for several weeks at a time, should the tension on the
blade be removed for these extended periods of unused?

I always do, figuring that the few extra seconds of effort can't hurt
anything and certainly might help.

It seems likely to me, based on nothing more than instinct, that the
smaller the wheels on the saw the more useful it would be to let the
tension off to prevent making "lumps" in the blade; same thing with the
blade width -- the wider thicker blades would be more likely to have enough
strength to take a noticeable set. Probably the worst of all possible
worlds would be one of those cockamamie three-wheel saws with tiny wheels
and a wide resaw blade cranked up to the max tension.