Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Adding a PSU to a turntable

On Tuesday, 16 April 2019 09:53:39 UTC+1, Martin Brown wrote:
On 16/04/2019 07:32, wrote:

I checked the power out from the big box, and its a little over 12V.
I had a dig in my PSU box and the nearest Ive got claims to be 13.1
V.

One silicon diode and one Shottky diode in series will drop a shade
under a volt which should be fine.

Silicon diodes drop 0.65v at very low current, 1-2v at full whack. A single si diode will be fine.

It is unlikely that something that is
old and designed for a crude bridge rectifier PSU would be particularly
voltage sensitive. The PSU voltage of the original is quite likely to be
load dependant and higher when not spinning up the turntable.

Ideally you want 9v, but it's been ok on 12.

The main thing you need to know is how much current does the turntable
draw at 12v.

an amp at most, but more when starting. A 3A diode should be ok.

Of course the 13.1v psu might deliver much more, if it's heavy especially. That would complicate things. Measure it.

NT