Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] nothanks@aolbin.com is offline

Default Strong insulating (electrical) sheet material.

I need to find a substitute for aluminium plate which doesn't conduct
electricity. Thin ply would probably be strong enough, but would prefer
something a bit easier to work, and the fixing holes would be rather close
to the edge for ply.

Something like a few layers of the glass fibre used for decent PCBs would
be good - or sheet of that about 5mm thick.

Size needed about 3x2" so small. Load less than a kilo, but supported at
one end only, so a fair twisting moment on it.

Anything I could pop along to a shed and buy?

Get yourself some fibreglass mat and resin. Place a weight on top while
curing (use cling film to stop it sticking to everything) to make sure
it's flat. You can make it any thickness/size you like. Laminate it with
something (aero ply or plastic worktop laminate) to make it stiffer.

Alternatively, polycarbonate sheet might be OK.