Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack Jack is offline

Default Band saws

On 4/14/2019 2:12 AM, Puckdropper wrote:
Jack wrote in :

I agree although I have never in the last 44 years released the tension
on my saw unless changing a blade, with no noticeable detrimental
effects. I doubt very much the previous owner did either. It's not a
Sears saw though.

How long does it go between uses?

Puckdropper

Varies a great deal. Sometimes months, sometimes weeks, most often
days. The tension adjustment on my saw is there for changing blades.
Nothing in the manual suggests releasing the tension. What is supposed
to happen if you don't? I think the tension spring might weaken, but
mine seems fine, and it's I guess 60 years old or roundabouts. I
replaced the tires in 1975 when I bought it, because they were starting
to crack. Probably would still be fine but I was more anal then.

I run almost exclusively 3/16" 3 tooth/inch, skip tooth blades. I
reckon the tension on a fat blade might be more, but I learned long,
long ago that the blade I use works fine for everything I do, from
cutting fire wood to cabinet scroll work, circles even resawing. I
started using the narrow blade when I was selling those wood name plates
you used to see at craft shows and such, and discovered that blade works
pretty good for everything.

Anyway, I doubt it hurts anything to release the tension, just saying
for me, it hasn't hurt anything not doing it.

--
Jack