Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bloody brisket ......

On Monday, 15 April 2019 22:41:54 UTC+1, Steve Walker wrote:
On 15/04/2019 15:40, whisky-dave wrote:
On Monday, 15 April 2019 15:08:59 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Terry Casey wrote:
In article , steve@walker-
family.me.uk says...

Here the increase is East Europeans, not Asians, although a few miles
away it is indeed Asians. My point is that immigration as a whole is too
high and we need to cut it down. So far governments have failed to do
that and even if they did at the moment, there would be a gaping hole in
that we have no restrictions on the numbers coming from the EU.

Without looking it up, I think that half or slighly more of
the immigrants over the past few years have been from outside
the EU, so we could (and should have done already) slash the
figures by 50% without leaving the EU.

So why didn't we?

Quite. But this country has relied too long on a stream of immigrants to
do jobs the English don't want to do.

Perhaps with doctors and nurses it;s because the hours are too long and we in the UK do work longer hours than a lot of EU wrokers.

There are a couple of different problems.

With doctors, a lot are retiring early, because the government reduced
the lifetime cap on pensions, so it makes more sense for them to retire
early instead of continuing to contribute to their pension pot and being
taxed heavily for it.

Then why isn;t teh answer not to tax them so heavily ?

With both doctors and nurses, we simply don't offer enough training
places.

Then why not.

A few years ago, the papers were full of stories of the
government keeping nurse training places way below that required and of
junior doctors, having completed their first 3(?) years of training,
being unable to find anywhere in the UK to obtain placements to work and
continue their training and so leaving for other EU countries.

Because the govenment found it cheaper to employ them from the EU and commonwealth.

We got rid of the other practical skills and technical collges so everyone could go to university and sit behind desks, and if they could do that they were useless.

Yes. No-one wanted to train people for manual, practical work when they
could simply bring in someone ready trained from abroad.

Exactly and who voted for that then ?

And the idea that paying a little
more for those jobs will end the dole queue just plain daft.

A little more is of little use if you can employ car cleaners for less than £2.50 an hour.
Perhaps we could go back to employing kids on bob-a-job that would undercut all the low grade EU workers I doubt they'll work for 5p an hour.

Many people are caught in a poverty trap. They know that if they get a
minimum wage job, they will be little or no better off for a whole lot
of effort; housing benefit will cease, as will council tax benefit. Only
a little more per hour can make a difference though. However, what
employer is going to pay that bit more, when they can get someone from
abroad, at minimum wage?

Exactly so why support such an idea like the free movement of people which only encourages such things the last time this happened was during the slave trade because we didn't have enough workers we imported them, shoved them into overcrowded towns so the landowners and other wealthy people could make a greater profit. The EU seems to be encouraging such migration rather than trying to stop it.

SteveW