Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bertie Doe Bertie Doe is offline

Default Fluorescent unit starter-less?

"harry" wrote in message

On Monday, 15 April 2019 17:35:26 UTC+1, Bertie Doe wrote:
The 6 foot tube in our 30+ year kitchen fluorescent light has started to
blink. The tube is about 10 years old, so due for replacement, although
it
wasn't showing the tell-tale darkened ends.

I replaced it with a Crompton 70w tube but this started to blink. "In my
opinion it's the starter that needs replacement" said the salesman.
Problem
is, this unit doesn't have one, is this possible?

I removed the tube and the 6' white concave reflector from above the tube
but no sign of a starter. Instead, there's a 9" x 1" x 1" (from memory)
white plastic box, which carries the mains wiring.

Any thoughts on where the starter can be located or are some fluorescent
units ...... starter-less? TIA

Time to dump it and go for LED.
Or buy an LED tube for your fitting (most need no starter).

Phoned a large lighting retailer (Beacon Plymouth) and was told :- "tube
blinking, the problem is with a) the tube, b) the starter or c) the choke".
When I described the wired 9 x 1 x1" unit, he confirmed it was the choke and
they have a lifetime of approx 4 replacement tubes or 15 years. So I can't
complain after 30 years use. When I replace the whole unit, I'll put up a
picture of the choke, in case someone Googles.

The LED equivalent of a 70w fluoro is 26w. Beacon sells a 6' unit for £39
but the tubes are not replaceable, it's a sealed unit, throw-away job.

Agreed, LCD is the way forwards but as the choke is a bit dodgy, I won't
spend £24 on a separate LCD. The Deltech is also a sealed unit but at 35000
hours, should see me out :-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DELTECH-L...r=471343462360

The following is available in single or double and the tubes seem to be
replaceable :-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/T8-LED-No...r=531293720453

Advert on same page has the tubes selling at £12. Thanks to all those who
contributed, I'm now a lot wiser on fluoro's.