Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Hayter[_2_] Roger Hayter[_2_] is offline

Default Old cooker switch neon light is on

wrote:

On Monday, 15 April 2019 21:24:12 UTC+1, ARW wrote:
On 15/04/2019 20:46, tabbypurr wrote:
On Monday, 15 April 2019 19:13:27 UTC+1, Roger Hayter wrote:
tabbypurr wrote:
On Monday, 15 April 2019 00:14:04 UTC+1, LizzyArt wrote:

The ring on my job was on when I turned the switch for the cooker
on. There was a large spark and it it tripped the switch. A ring on
the job was blown and I replaced it. When I turned the fuse back on
the neon light on the cooker switch is on all the time. Do I need
to replace that switch now or is there something more that needs to
be investigated by a electrician?

1. We need clearer info. 2. Most people here block the website
you're using. Go to google groups, this is uk.d-i-y. 3. A multimeter
is the best tool to find your fault, and you'll need to read the
basics of how to use them. Do the latter first, they die if
connected wrong. 4. As someone said, waggling your various switches
might work, but that doesn't mean the result will be reliable or
necessarily safe.

As far as detecting the fault is concerned I think the neon is already
doing the only task a multimeter would be needed for.

not even close

Well knock about and tell us what is wrong.

We don't know do we. A meter is needed to find out. Neon staying on when

cooker off typically means a lost neutral. If a switch is welded,
unsticking it leaves a high R contact carrying a fair bit of current -
I'd prefer to file the contacts than leave it as is.

If the cooker works the neutral is intact. I don't think you can
easily file the contacts in a commercial cooker isolation switch - if
you don't like burnt contacts a new one is in order.

--

Roger Hayter