Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default Adding a PSU to a turntable

The latter sounds feasible but you need to know the current drain when its
running under max load and of course you need to measure the voltage
supplied under max load too, it might not be a regulated supply. If you opt
for an external psu, put it as far away as you can to prevent any inductive
pick up, on the other hand by a turntable and donate the old working system
to somebody else.

Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
wrote in message

Hi All,

As some of you are aware, I have an old Sony Midi system complete with
turntables.

In recent years, the only thing I've used the main boxy bit for, is to
provide 12V to drive the turntable. I'd like to feed it from something a
bit more compact. But as usual, have zero budget.

I've taken the bottom of the turntable and discovered
It has a 9 point Something volt motor (it also has an auto
Arm liftty and Putty away mechanism).

I checked the power out from the big box, and it's a little over 12V. I had
a dig in my PSU box and the nearest I've got claims to be 13.1 V.

Does the team think that's near enough? Or do I need to get I'd down? If
so, could I get away with adding a diode (and resistor (value?)?) in series?

If not, could I add a 12V regulator? Or would I need more than 13V to feed
the regulator?

TIA

Chris