Posted to alt.home.repair
\[email protected] \Retired@Home.com is offline

Default Horizontal cable balusters

On 4/15/19 4:00 PM, Tekkie® wrote:

I have seen pictures of cable rail balusters that seem to be spaced quite
far apart. I thought horizontal balusters were forbidden because kids could
climb on them. Then I saw this this pix with the cables and I thought I
could fit my leg through so a kid could certainly get through and fall. This
house was built on a CA mountainside. What am I missing? Sorry I do not have
a link to the pix.

Lots of pics he
https://www.atlantisrail.com/cable-railing

The site also has this comment re codes"
"At one time building code restrictions limited the use of any
horizontal railing for general use, which would include cable railing.
In 2001, the International Code Commission (ICC) removed this €śladder
law€ť restriction from the International Residential Code (IRC). Though
there is nothing stated in the IRC or International Building Code (IBC),
any state or municipality has the right to write in their own code and
to interpret existing IRC and IBC. With cable railing you should always
consult the local code enforcement official with your plans first. Gain
approval before the installation, not after."