Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Old cooker switch neon light is on

On Monday, 15 April 2019 19:13:27 UTC+1, Roger Hayter wrote:
tabbypurr wrote:
On Monday, 15 April 2019 00:14:04 UTC+1, LizzyArt wrote:

The ring on my job was on when I turned the switch for the cooker on.
There was a large spark and it it tripped the switch. A ring on the job
was blown and I replaced it. When I turned the fuse back on the neon
light on the cooker switch is on all the time. Do I need to replace
that switch now or is there something more that needs to be investigated
by a electrician?

1. We need clearer info. 2. Most people here block the website you're
using. Go to google groups, this is uk.d-i-y. 3. A multimeter is the best
tool to find your fault, and you'll need to read the basics of how to use
them. Do the latter first, they die if connected wrong. 4. As someone
said, waggling your various switches might work, but that doesn't mean the
result will be reliable or necessarily safe.

As far as detecting the fault is concerned I think the neon is already
doing the only task a multimeter would be needed for.

not even close

NT

However, I do
agree that if the switch isn't replaced and the neon goes out with
switch manipulation then it would be good idea to check that both the
live and the neutral sides of the isolatng switch are opening.