Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default Old cooker switch neon light is on

On 15/04/2019 15:26, Roger Hayter wrote:
Roger Hayter wrote:

LizzyArt m wrote:

The ring on my job was on when I turned the switch for the cooker on.
There was a large spark and it it tripped the switch. A ring on the job
was blown and I replaced it. When I turned the fuse back on the neon
light on the cooker switch is on all the time. Do I need to replace
that switch now or is there something more that needs to be investigated
by a electrician?

If all the ccoker controls work normally I'd assume it is just the
switch contacts welded together by arcing, and just replace the main
switch. The switch on the cooker probably came to no harm as it was not
opened or closed during the fault current.

But first of all try operating the switch rapidly on and off a dozen or
two times in case the contacts free themselves.

Would you still trust a switch to work correctly if that worked?

However I suspect that is a part of your diagnostics with the suggestion
of swapping the switch later if it worked.

--
Adam