Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Tire pressure

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 15 Apr 2019 09:42:55 -0400, Ed Pawlowski
wrote:

On 4/15/2019 1:32 AM, micky wrote:
I don't remember if my car at home has tire-pressure monitoring but the
rental car does and of course the rental company gave me no information
about how to use it.

It seems to me that when the light goes on, and I add some air to one or
two tires that accept the air, even if I don't add enough, or maybe I
add too much, then I hold the button in until the light goes off, and
even if I have low pressure in a couple tires, even if the tires are
uneven, the light will go off and will stay off because I said that that
was okay. Is that right?

No, does not seem right. Mine goes on if a tire is low.

I'm sure at least one tire was low, and that the same tire was low the
second time.

Only way to
get it off is to add air to the tire.

But you also have to push a button on the dash, right?

Pretty simple system and shows
which tire is low.

Mine doesn't show which tire.

In my case, it alarms at 28 psi.

Okay, I got the manual for a 2017 Mazda2 and it says
'' To allow the system to operate correctly, the system needs to be
initialized with the specifed tyre pressure (value on the tyre pressure
label). Follow the procedure and perform the initialization.

Each tyre, including the spare (if provided), should be checked monthly
when cold
and inÀ ated to the inÀ ation pressure recommended by the vehicle
manufacturer on the
vehicle placard or tyre inÀ ation pressure label. (If your vehicle has
tyres of a different
size than the size indicated on the vehicle placard or tyre inÀ ation
pressure label, you
should determine the proper tyre inÀ ation pressure for those tyres.)

As an added safety feature, your vehicle has been equipped with a tyre
pressure
monitoring system (TPMS) that illuminates a low tyre pressure telltale
when one or
more of your tyres is signi¿ cantly under-inÀ ated. Accordingly, when
the low tyre
pressure telltale illuminates, you should stop and check your tyres as
soon as possible,
and inÀ ate them to the proper pressure.

Etc."

So, IMO, I'm right, the system is of no value for me because I don't
know when a tire is correctly inflated.

I will add an undertermined amount of air every time the light goes on
and when I return the car, I will tell them that the light went on 2 (or
more maybe by then) times.