Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Phil Kangas[_4_] Phil Kangas[_4_] is offline

Default 1939/40 Harley trans questions

"Terry Coombs"
I'm sorry Eric , I might not have been clear . I have a
race that's pressed into the left side of the transmission
case , it carries the clutch gear (main input shaft to
trans , carries the clutch on the outside) and thrust for
the clutch . When this race was pressed into another case
I have the bearings rolled perfectly - these are loose
rollers with retaining washers on both ends . In the case
it is currently pressed into , it ain't workin' so well .
The race now measures .0015" larger horizontally than it
is tall - it's oval now . What we're talking about lapping
is the inside diameter of the race , to make it round IN
THIS ORIENTATION in the case . If it's R&R'ed it will have
to be indexed to the exact same orientation . Or I can
make the hole it's pressed into round . Six of one , half
a dozen of the other . I can go either way with what I
have on hand except for loctite sleeve retaining stuff .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

These rollers are available in steps of 0.0002" in dia.
After the bearing race has been lapped rollers are
tested for fit looking for a plug fit. At this plug fit
there
is no clearance so they are removed and the next
smaller size is used. Be sure not to mix up the rollers,
keep them separate! As you mentioned earlier the
shaft will behave erractically if the rollers are a plug
fit.
BTDT
phil kangas
out.