Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Something I always wondered about......

"They were first called 'Jars', AKA: Leyden Jars."

Someone posed a question many years ago which I never really gave that much thought after the first few minutes. **** happens.

If you took a charged capacitor, a Leyden jar job would be good, took it apart and mailed it to say, Taxifornia and reassembled it, would it still be charged ?

Back then for one I didn't know as much and for two I was not all that interested. But now I think that the glass would hold the charge and you could change the plates and the charge would still be there. However if you grab the jar wrong - that is have your finger and thumb make a connection between the inside and outside of the glass you would discharge it.

But then what of a huge capacitor that uses air for a dielectric ? Kinda blows the theory. With that, years ago I decided I am simply not all that interested in the question.