Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Adrian Tuddenham[_2_] Adrian Tuddenham[_2_] is offline

Default Tascam DR-05 ticking noises revisited

Mike wrote:

In article .invalid,
Adrian Tuddenham wrote:

... it seems to be random clusters of ticks, but it only starts a few
tens of milliseconds after the last sound.

OK. Well that's confused me ...

Possibly there was a subtled DC shift due to rectification, second
harmonic or actual air pressure, which shifted the quantising level away
from the ticking point immediately following the sound and then slowly
drifted back during silence. The mic was crossed stereo ribbons and the
uncorrected pre-amp response is flat to under 20 c/s - although I had
150 c/s bass roll-off in circuit because the actors were only about 2 ft
from the mic (which is 'close' for a ribbon).

[...].

I can't use Cooledit on a Mac G3, which is my workhorse for professional
editing.

You can probably use it's loose relation, Adobe Audition (probably now
Adobe Cloud Edition Audition Pro XL or whatever it is today ...) part
of Adobe's reason to buy up Cooledit was to make it multiplatform (Win/Mac).

I have a feeling that happened after Mac went to OSX, so it won't be any
use to me.

There should be many tools for that job (GUI and command line based) so
maybe that is a simpler answer.

There is no GUI command line in OS 8.6, but there should be some very
simple conversion programs available for free - as long as they can cope
with the more recent .wav files.

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk