Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Michael Terrell Michael Terrell is offline

Default Something I always wondered about......

On Tuesday, April 9, 2019 at 7:27:00 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Back in the early days of electronics, Capacitors were called
Condensers. Why was the word changed?

Yea, I know there is a part in a refrigeration unit called a condenser.
But does that have anything to do with this?

They were first called 'Jars', AKA: Leyden Jars.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leyden_jar Each one was approximately 1nF for the common one pint physical size. Some early Physics and Radio books described circuits with the number of jars, in parallel.