Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mike Mike is offline

Default Tascam DR-05 ticking noises revisited

In article .invalid,
Adrian Tuddenham wrote:

It doesn't appear to be, even a small amount of pre-amp hiss is enough
to stop it if I turn up the gain with a loading resistor instead of a
mic.

OK

No, it seems to be random clusters of ticks, but it only starts a few
tens of milliseconds after the last sound.

OK. Well that's confused me ...

Peak LE is very old software but the Tascam DR-05 is relatively new, so
I suppose it could be implimenting something that wasn't in the original
.wav specification.

I think all the little foibles were in the WAV spec from the start. It's
just that some software takes the view that a WAV is the simplest version
possible, 44 bytes of header, most of which you can igno You need number
of channels, bit depth, sample rate, length. Everything else in the header,
boring, and byte 45 starts the data. This works for all the "plain" wav
files that don't have lists of cue points and other data in there, or
repeated "and here's another data chunk", "and here's another data chunk"
content.

I can't use Cooledit on a Mac G3, which is my workhorse for professional
editing.

You can probably use it's loose relation, Adobe Audition (probably now
Adobe Cloud Edition Audition Pro XL or whatever it is today ...) part
of Adobe's reason to buy up Cooledit was to make it multiplatform (Win/Mac).

I think they have gone out of business.

Ah.

At least I can get around the problem by using an analogue transfer, but
it isn't a good solution. Possibly there is some newer software that
will still run on a G3 and can convert .wav to .aiff without the clicks.

There should be many tools for that job (GUI and command line based) so
maybe that is a simpler answer.
Mike Brown: mjb[-at-]signal11.org.uk | http://www.signal11.org.uk