Posted to alt.home.repair
rbowman rbowman is offline

Default Police detectors to warn mobile phone-using drivers (UK)

On 04/13/2019 11:20 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 4/13/2019 12:53 PM, rbowman wrote:

I would have killed for a GPS and cellphone when I was driving OTR,
particularly one of the Rand McNally versions that understands trucks.

Nothing like finally finding a pay phone where you can park an
eighteen wheeler, calling the consignee, and getting directions from
the front office ditz, which you transcribe on your pad. Halfway there
you realize the route that works for her Pinto ain't working for you.

There were also the drivers too cheap to get the proper device and
cheaped out on the standard Garmin. I worked near a low bridge and
could point them out.

I never hit a bridge but I did require an extraction when I tried to go
over Petit Jean Mountain in Arkansas. The switchback was so tight I
managed to get all 4 drivers on one side off the ground. There is a
limited slip mechanism between the front and rear axles but not side to
side.

In my defense, if you look at Arkansas in a truckers' atlas almost
everything is marked as a truck route. I have to assume it has something
to do with Federal dollars. The wrecker operator told me he'd had to
deal with an oversized load on the same hairpin the month before -- and
oversized loads are assigned a route by the state.

Pretty area if you're driving a Civic.