Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default Wooden fence repair issue

On 13/04/2019 11:49, GB wrote:
On 13/04/2019 11:21, Brian Gaff wrote:
Well you mean you want to keep the old boards?
Â* I think in your position if they all needed replacing I'd go the
whole hog
and buy finished panels.
Â* Brian

Brian, he's already bought the battens to fix them with. So, he's after
a solution that uses the battens, regardless of whether that's a good
idea, or not.

To the OP: Lidl do a drywall screw fixing gun that automatically drives
screws. Only £30, IIRC, but you'll have to wait until they stock it.
That's a lot, lot cheaper than a nailer with comparable fixing power.

The screws will probably rust after a while, but that just adds to their
fixing power, and a bit of rust adds to the patina of the fence. Drywall
screws are treated, but I think that won't last in 'weather'.

I must confess I always build feather edge on triangular rail fences
with screws. A bit more expensive but even without a collated driver
it's quicker than nailing and easier to adjust.