Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Adrian Tuddenham[_2_] Adrian Tuddenham[_2_] is offline

Default Tascam DR-05 ticking noises revisited

Mike wrote:

In article .invalid,
Adrian Tuddenham wrote:

The problem seems to be coming from the editing software (Peak L.E.)
which converts the Tascam's .wav files to .aiff before editing them. I
thought the differences between the two formats were just in the
headers, with the actual data bits being the same - but it appears that
something is being done to the data which trips up during periods of
silence.

Is it possible the "ticking" is there even when you *do* have signal, you
just don't notice it (lost in the signal)?

It doesn't appear to be, even a small amount of pre-amp hiss is enough
to stop it if I turn up the gain with a loading resistor instead of a
mic.

Is the ticking at a very regular interval?

No, it seems to be random clusters of ticks, but it only starts a few
tens of milliseconds after the last sound.

Some software does not fully implement the WAV file format properly,
and assumes 44 byte header, then raw data to end of file. It's lazy, and
it mostly works. Then sometimes it doesn't.

Peak LE is very old software but the Tascam DR-05 is relatively new, so
I suppose it could be implimenting something that wasn't in the original
..wav specification.

You could measure the time between ticks in e.g. Cooledit (Audition) or
others, by zooming in to the sample level. Or look at the file in a hex
editor. You may well find that the interval is a nice round number
of samples.

Of course, if Cooledit loads the WAV file correctly, you might never
see the ticks to zoom in on them

I can't use Cooledit on a Mac G3, which is my workhorse for professional
editing.

You could try submitting a minimal-sample of the file to Peak LE's
developers and see if they see a problem with their file handling?

I think they have gone out of business.

At least I can get around the problem by using an analogue transfer, but
it isn't a good solution. Possibly there is some newer software that
will still run on a G3 and can convert .wav to .aiff without the clicks.

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk