Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Spare tyres and maximum speed limits

On 13/04/2019 10:00, dennis@home wrote:
On 13/04/2019 08:03, Dozy Jim ... wrote:
"alan_m" wrote in message
On 12/04/2019 20:49, ARW wrote:
Got a flat. A simple swap, but the spare has 50MPH stickers on it.

So why would the spare wheel have a maximum speed limit of 50MPH on it
when it has the same sized tyre on it as the flat one? The only
difference I can see is that the spare is not an alloy wheel.

Adam

Are you sure that its the same size? At first glance my spare appears to
be the same size but on closer inspection I have 17 inch wheels on
the car
and the spare is 16 inch (with the restricted speed warning stickers).

very true ...

He did say they were all R16 IIRC.

He said "The tyres on the car and the spare all say 195/65R15"

That doesn't mean the rims are the same width though or the tyre loading
is the same.

--
Cheers,

John.