Posted to alt.home.repair
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default Car jumper cable wire size

On Thu, 11 Apr 2019 18:12:30 -0400, wrote:

On Wed, 10 Apr 2019 21:55:38 -0400, Clare Snyder
wrote:

On Wed, 10 Apr 2019 17:11:32 -0400,
wrote:

Yes, but the difference is that with a flat or sulphated
battery, the engine can still be cranked over, albeit
very slowly, but the battery may well be producing
a much lower than normal voltage that isnt enough
to produce a decent spark to get the engine firing
in the worst weather conditions in a car with an
old well ****ed distributor and plug leads and
spark plugs.

.. made me wonder how old the car would be
- if it has a distributor - early 1990's ?
or even older ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distributor

John T.

Computerized electronic ignition is even fussier. Many will not
provide a spark (oe fire the injectors) below 9 volts - and some will
not produce a spark below about 600 rpm cranking speed (ones with
inductive pickup instead of hall effect)

Yep . but how old for a distributor ?
.. my old memory banks are asking ..
My 1980 F100 had one ;
I think my 1990 B2200 had one .. not sure.
.. after that dunno.
John T.

Distributor?or points? By 1975 all American manufacturers had
switched to electronic triggers from points. It took untill the late
90s for didtributorless ignition to virtually take over from
distributor ignition. Not sure exactly which car was the last to loose
the rotary distribution spark system